Thessaloniki, July 24, 2013
July 22, 2013, the Hodegetria Icon of the Mother of God
was returned to the Vatopedi Monastery from Xenophontos.
In 1730, this icon mysteriously disappeared from Vatopedi.
After a while the brethren learned that it had appeared in
another Athonite Monastery—Xenophontos. The icon was
returned to its owners but soon after that miraculously
appeared again in Xenophontos. Then the Vatopedi Monks
decided that such was the will of the Mother of God that
Her icon should be kept in Xenophontos, reports
At the present time, the
monks of Xenophontos have unanimously decided to give the
revered icon back to Vatopedi. The procession of the
brethren of Xenophontos headed by Abbot Alexios arrived at
the Vatopedi. At the entrance to the Monastery they were
met by Abbot Ephraim with the brethren and Abbot Gabriel
of the Pantokrator Monastery. The icon was placed into the
Monastery's Cathedral of Annunciation of the Mother of
26 июля 2013 г.