Memory 2 (15) July
There are several different explanations as to how the Robe came to Georgia. According to one account, it was brought from Jerusalem at the beginning of the 12th century. According to another, it was brought to Georgia in the 8th century, during the period of iconoclasm in Byzantium. According to the chronicle Life of Kartli, the wonder-working Robe of the Most Holy Theotokos had been preserved in the church at Khobi for many centuries.
In 1640 the Russian envoys Fedot Elchin and Pavel Zakharev visited western Georgia and reported having seen the Precious Robe. It was also described in the accounts of various travelers through western Georgia including Giuseppe Maria Zampi the Italian missionary, the patriarch of Alexandria (in the 17th century); and several monks of Mt. Athos.
The Robe of the Theotokos was preserved in a silver case on the altar in Khobi, under the seals of both the catholicos and Prince Levan II Dadiani.
According to tradition, many miracles have occurred and a great number of people have been healed by the wonder-working Robe.
Every year on July 2, the Most Precious Robe is carried from the Zugdidi Museum to the Cathedral of the Blachernae Icon of the Theotokos. After the festal Liturgy the faithful joyfully venerate this most priceless treasure of the Christian Faith.
Pilgrims from many countries have traveled to Zugdidi to venerate the Robe of the Most Holy Mother of God.
Thy Robe, O Virgin Theotokos, was bestowed upon the nation that venerates thee as a rampart against enemies both visible and invisible. For this we chant unto thee with glorious hymns!